PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Reagen Dies

Perfect Agent
06-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Former US President Ronald Reagan has died, aged 93, after reports in recent days that his health had taken a turn for the worse.
He had suffered from Alzheimer's disease, and had not been seen in public for several years.

He died at his home in California, according to a friend quoted anonymously by Reuters news agency.

He was US president from 1981 to 1989 and had lived longer than any other holder of the post.

Mr Reagan revealed in November 1994 that he was suffering from Alzheimer's disease, which destroys brain cells and causes memory loss.

Since then, he retreated to his home in Los Angeles, where he had been nursed by close members of his family.

- BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3779583.stm)

Notedog
06-05-2004, 09:25 PM
I'm not sure how good of a president he was, but this is this the second president to die in my lifetime, but the first one I was old enough to comprehend.

Kliq
06-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Yea, it's all over the news here. Sad, sad thing.

R.I.P Ronald Reagen

1911 - 2004

The Dude
06-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Reagen is one of my all time favorite presidents. He is the man that defeated communism. I read in a book once that his son Micheal asked him "Dad why do you want to be President so bad?" and Regan replied "So I can tell the Russians het (no)" I am really sad to see him go :(

Rest in Peace Mr. President, you served your country well

Loomer
06-06-2004, 12:23 AM
I was listening on the radio how he might die in weeks or months. One hour later, I heard about his death.

R.I.P.

Suzuki_Fanboy
06-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Ronald Reagan was one of the best Presidents the United States has ever had. Period.

It's sad to see him go, we could use another man like him in the oval office.

:(

MagicJuggler
06-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Well, it's about time that creep died...

No offense, but as president during Iran-Contra, during the installation of Pinochet in Chile, Reagan gives me the creeps when I look at him in retrospect.

Suzuki_Fanboy
06-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Well, it's about time that creep died...

I can't believe anyone would say something like that. That's pretty ridiculous.

MagicJuggler
06-07-2004, 12:29 AM
I can't believe anyone would say something like that. That's pretty ridiculous.

I know it was a bit morbid, but he was a relic. Not only that but originally Democrat, goes Republican, condemned communism while secretly supporting right-wing contra death squads.

alpha
06-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Wow one out of thousands.

Batmanuel
06-07-2004, 11:29 PM
its sad that he died, he was one of my favorite presidents.

peasantlover
06-08-2004, 01:51 AM
I cried a little bit when i saw it on the news... regardless of how good of a president he was, he was a great man and leader, just like Abraham Lincoln.

Pro A.
06-08-2004, 02:07 AM
Another person is in the same boat as him, and that is Qaddafi.

peasantlover
06-08-2004, 10:17 AM
bahh.. we there wasnt anyone in the same boat as him in the 20th century, except maybe Winston Churchill..

alpha
06-08-2004, 11:30 AM
sorry but only 1 boat per person.

Omega
06-08-2004, 11:30 AM
I cried a little bit when i saw it on the news... regardless of how good of a president he was, he was a great man and leader, just like Abraham Lincoln.
Very true, man. He was a great man.

Kliq
06-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Whats with all these sickos complaining and whining on radio stations and at school about how they're sick of the Ronal Raegan coverage. I mean, the man meant so much to this country - its not like anyone FORCED them to watch the news or anything.

This Friday is a Federal of National holiday for Ronal Reagen?

Orchid
06-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Whats with all these sickos complaining and whining on radio stations and at school about how they're sick of the Ronal Raegan coverage. I mean, the man meant so much to this country - its not like anyone FORCED them to watch the news or anything.

This Friday is a Federal of National holiday for Ronal Reagen?
I think this Friday is a remeberance day of sorts for Reagan. I hate to see him go and I know Nancy must be really devidtated. He meant the world to her and as my father in law put it, she shined when it came to her husband and their relationship as far as a President and first Lady.

Suzuki_Fanboy
06-09-2004, 05:12 AM
They're trying to get his portrait put on the $10 bill. That would be so awesome.

peasantlover
06-09-2004, 07:34 AM
yah, it would be cool.

Im reading "When Character was King" by Peggy Noonan right now, it is a good read..

Perfect Agent
06-09-2004, 08:51 PM
They're trying to get his portrait put on the $10 bill. That would be so awesome.

It's stupid that it takes someone to die for them to get recognised.

Relient J
06-09-2004, 09:15 PM
^ I think it would be a difficult thing to put a living ex-President on currency. It's just not the norm.

I was very sad to hear of Reagan's death. But in a way relieved too for his family. Alzheimer's is a horrible thing to live for, both as a patient or family member. While I'm sure it is a truly sad time for the family, I think at the same time they can all finally have closure.

Reagan was the first President of my lifetime. I still remember seeing him on television. He had a very comforting "grandfatherly" visage about him that appealed to me as a young child. I still remember hearing Dan Rather talk about his Star Wars program and having a total misconception about what he was talking about. :)

Kliq
06-09-2004, 10:13 PM
How come they put pnumonia on Reagen's death certificate instead of Alzheimer?

Spatula
06-09-2004, 10:49 PM
i was watching the daily show last night..they were saying how allready people are using reagen words. like "would ronald regen approve of this?" and "thats very reagen-esque of you!"

its funny, because no one would have cared previously. including mr. ronald himself.

peasantlover
06-09-2004, 11:13 PM
How come they put pnumonia on Reagen's death certificate instead of Alzheimer?

because Pneumonia is what killed him, duh.

advancemonkey
06-26-2004, 08:43 PM
So dies the great communicator. I cried when I saw Nancy get his flag ... it was really sad to see that womens life be crushed on tv they should have left Mrs.Reagon alone atleast for a minute... sad day. I know this is late but i havnt been here in a while and whanted to comment..... and magic juggler that really really isn't appropriate.